Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you have been enjoying posts from your kids. I know I have enjoyed seeing our classroom through their eyes. I thought I would write the post this week and they will be back next week with some exciting things about what's going on in fourth grade.

The next few weeks will go very quickly in fourth grade. We will be anticipating our winter vacation and all the fun that goes with that. However, we will still be in school and we need to remember to stay focused so we can get the most out of our day.

During the month of December, we will be doing several things and of course the students will be sharing more info on the blog in the coming weeks. We will be doing a Holiday Traditions Around the World Unit in Reading as well as working on our big maps in Social Studies. We will also be starting an environmental unit on Wetlands as well as Rain, Run-off, and Rivers. You will be receiving a letter home about purchasing mudboots that your child will need during our trips to the wetland in March, April, and May. If you want to purchase them now, I am sure they can be found at all the farm stores in town. April tends to be pretty muddy so it's important to have them. All the fourth graders in the district will be participating in this wetlands project with Therese.

We continue to do our Reading Logs! Please understand how important it is to read at home! The students who read at home always improve greatly over the school year. Right now we have an incentive going on in our classroom. For students who read at least 120 minutes every week until vacation, they will get to choose their seat for the whole month of January. I told them they will have to try extra hard this week since they are not in school and off their regular schedule. As Parents, please try to make reading a priority this week. 20 minutes a day will bring them to their goal.

Students who sing in the Ensemble with Mr. Grunwald will be a part of the K-2 Holiday Program at the high school this year. This program will be December 9th. Please look for a letter to come home soon about this performance.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving and I know that I am truly Thankful that you send your child to me everyday. It is truly a blessing to have each and every one of my students here each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment